"If Psalm 1 is to be believed, we must not allow our children to stand, sit or walk with those who deny biblical truth and morality. Instead, we must place them in situations that will aid them in meditating on the law of the Lord 'day and night.' Surely this involves how and where they are to be educated." — Voddie T. Baucham Jr.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

I get it, or I think I do

So I was reading in How to Teach Your Baby to be Physically Superb last night, and somewhere between then and this morning it hit me. I had been reading it wrong. The name of Glenn Doman's school in Philadelphia is The Institutes for the Advancement of Human Potential. And I had always understood that to mean that we are teaching our kids so that they can achieve their human potential. But thats not it at all. At least thats not my new understanding, which is this, we teach our kids so that their potential can be advanced. The more I stimulate the brain development in a certain area of my birth to six year old, the greater his/her future potential in that area will be. Not to say that any child over six can't develop new skills and abilities. But they will do so with greater effort and have to expend more energy in doing so than if they had developed these areas before six. I get it now. I'm not trying to raise little geniuses who can rattle off random bits of encyclopedic knowledge. (my best friend put it well here). But what I AM doing is advancing, or you could say enlarging, their potential to be able to store and recall facts about anything that they would wish or need to in the future. Which would make learning new things a little easier for them. And I think that's pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment