"If Psalm 1 is to be believed, we must not allow our children to stand, sit or walk with those who deny biblical truth and morality. Instead, we must place them in situations that will aid them in meditating on the law of the Lord 'day and night.' Surely this involves how and where they are to be educated." — Voddie T. Baucham Jr.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Math dots

I started Janelle and James on Glenn Doman's math program. The premise behind the method is to teach quantity before the symbles. For example showing the child ten dots instead of the number "10". I have been successful at not teaching her the numerals. Although I think she has learned some of them from book and videos.

I have been wanting to start Janelle for a while and just haven't done it. I've tried to show her the dots on the computer and she never seemed to pay attention. So I thought she may do better with physical cards and I was right. She showed much more interest in the cards than she did the slides on the computer. She even ask to do math now.

But the only problem lies in my consistency. We started a little over a month ago and we're only on day 15 of the program. Part of the problem is that I've only made cards up to 30, and we're at 29! I haven't made the rest of the cards, so I can't go any further. Secondly, I don't have a scheduled time to show the cards. So I end up just grabbing them when I think about it, which obviously isn't every day.Two problems that are easily remedied. I need to make all of the dot cards so I don't run in to this problem again, and set a time for each day that will be dot time. My goal is to have this done by Sunday night. Then, I can start next week on the right foot. I can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment