"If Psalm 1 is to be believed, we must not allow our children to stand, sit or walk with those who deny biblical truth and morality. Instead, we must place them in situations that will aid them in meditating on the law of the Lord 'day and night.' Surely this involves how and where they are to be educated." — Voddie T. Baucham Jr.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Rolling Over

So I started reading How to Teach Your Baby to Be Physically Superb last week and realized I hadn't been giving James enough tummy time. According to the book he is "behind" in his physical development and was in need of a lot more opportunity to gain strength in his legs and upper body.
Now, I'm not one to keep their baby lying on their back all day, or strapped into some other baby confiner. James is usually being held or is propped up on the couch or bed. I would occasionally lay him on his stomach for a few minutes a day to make sure he was getting tummy time, but the book recommends a minimum of four hours a day. I was no where near that. So I started changing some habits. Whenever I would put him down on the bed, I put him on his stomach. I got a small blanket to put on the floor down stairs (we have hardwood floors) to put him on while I make dinner instead of his bouncy seat. I've tried to be consistent everyday. Not sure if I'm up to four hours yet, but he's defiantly getting more than he used to.
So the third day of more tummy time, he did something for the first time. Something Janelle didn't do until she was 7 or 8 month old. He rolled over. Now, I read that he should be able to do this at 2-3 months. So it's not super amazing. But I don't thinks its a coincidence that it happened when he started to get more opportunity.
Anyways, I'm proud of him, and I intend to keep up the program and see what he'll do next.



James is 4 months and 4 weeks old

No comments:

Post a Comment