"If Psalm 1 is to be believed, we must not allow our children to stand, sit or walk with those who deny biblical truth and morality. Instead, we must place them in situations that will aid them in meditating on the law of the Lord 'day and night.' Surely this involves how and where they are to be educated." — Voddie T. Baucham Jr.

Friday, September 2, 2011

Comfort Zones

       So we went to the park yesterday and the water still was pretty high because of the recent hurricane. Janelle wanted skip rocks and play in the mud. Two things I have no interest doing. But I think that is because I wasn't outside much as a child. I grew up in Urban America and though I did play outside, it was with the neighbors playing freeze tag and kick ball. Never did I stoop down in the mud to study anything. I didn't go to nature parks or get exposed to nature study in general.
       I do have some knowledge of nature, but only what was outside my front door. I know a maple tree because my grandmother had one in her front yard. I know roses, petunias, begonias, and spider plants all for the same reason. And now that I have my own front yard, I naturally gravitated to the petunias to plant around the trees because thats what my grandmother planted each spring. And all this I "absorbed" on my own, without any formal instruction from my mother. Which tells me that nature study does stick with you. I just wish I had had more of it.
       I say all that to say that I'm uncomfortable being outside with nature. I'd much rather stay inside away form all insets and other outside annoyances. But I don't want my kids to turn out like me. At least I want to give the opportunity to love nature. Which leaves me just having to suck it up and go outside. I do want to study nature with Janelle this school year. I think it will be good for us. We can learn together. I just have to get out of my comfort zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment