"If Psalm 1 is to be believed, we must not allow our children to stand, sit or walk with those who deny biblical truth and morality. Instead, we must place them in situations that will aid them in meditating on the law of the Lord 'day and night.' Surely this involves how and where they are to be educated." — Voddie T. Baucham Jr.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

God's World "the 1st day" level 1

Week before last we spent a whole week learning about the solar system. My reason behind this was to introduce science in the order of creation, an idea I got from The Heart of Wisdom Teaching Approach. On the first day God made the heavens and the earth. I didn't have any thing specific to work with other than the earth so I decided to start with the heavens. We learned all about a solar system. I did this Charlotte Mason style using only books and some coloring sheets. I would simply read the book and make no other comments or explanations unless she asked a question, to which I would give a very simplified answer. I never asked her any questions to see if she was "getting it", or asked her to identify the planets in books we had already read. I just had to trust that if I put it in there, eventually it would come out. I even wrote a song with the names of the planets that I would sing while she colored her solar system, in the car, at lunch, whenever I would think about it. I never asked her to sing it with me, and she never did.
Well this past Sunday daddy had taken the kids upstairs after dinner while I cleaned up the dishes. They were gone a few minutes when he called me to come upsatirs. I get up there and he said, "did you know that Janelle knew all the planets?" I said no. He said that she was looking at one of her books and asked him if he knew the names of the planets. So she begins to sing the song that I didn't know she knew. I was very impressed. She did get it. She also told daddy that God made all the planets on the first day. Since then other things have come out as she plays with her dolls or while she's telling made up stories like traveling through the milky way and  going around the sun. It was a very successful week. I'm learning more and more to trust my child. To trust that God gave her a mind, and that it works just fine without all of my prodding and poking around to see whats in there. What's in there will come out. All of the testing only fustrated both of us because she would always give me the wrong answer on purpose. So I just stop asking. And now I can see that she is learning.
Charlotte Mason says information to the mind is like food to the body. What I was doing before was giving Janelle something to eat and then asking her to give in back to me. Well, I wouldn't do that with food so why with information. She needed time to assimilate it just like the body needs time to digest. And in this case it was two weeks before it came out.
Well I'm excited to continue, and see what she'll tell me next. Here are the books we read: 
And here is our solar system song

No comments:

Post a Comment