"If Psalm 1 is to be believed, we must not allow our children to stand, sit or walk with those who deny biblical truth and morality. Instead, we must place them in situations that will aid them in meditating on the law of the Lord 'day and night.' Surely this involves how and where they are to be educated." — Voddie T. Baucham Jr.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Heart words

I made some flash cards for Janelle to learn some sight words. I made them in the shape of a heart so they would be a little more interesting than plan old flash cards. I chose a "We Read Together" book from the library where there is a parent's page to read and then a child's page with just one or two words in large print. I typed out all the words in the book and printed them out for the flash cards. I gave her five cards a day in the morning before we went downstairs for breakfast. We sounded out each word and she taped them to a little closet door in her room. We went over them a few times a day letting her choose which word she wanted to read. By letting her choose, it showed which words she knew and which words she wasn't comfortable with. I could then go over the words she didn't know without "testing" her. Which she doesn't really like. I guess who does? After she had received all the words, we read the book together. At first she was very apprehensive when I told her that she was going to have to read a page in the book. But after she saw that she knew these words her confidence soared. 

The hearts were made from construction paper. I then cut smaller hearts out of index cards that I then glued on the colored hearts. I printed out the words and cut them out, then glued them on the cards. I covered them with clear contact paper to make them a bit more durable.

She really enjoyed them, and I'd love to keep it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment