"If Psalm 1 is to be believed, we must not allow our children to stand, sit or walk with those who deny biblical truth and morality. Instead, we must place them in situations that will aid them in meditating on the law of the Lord 'day and night.' Surely this involves how and where they are to be educated." — Voddie T. Baucham Jr.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

A New Year

So I'm finally back to blogging after a long sabbatical due to my 600 mile relocation. I have been doing a lot of thinking about how I wanted to do school this year. I read some more about Charlotte Mason's methods and decided to take her thoughts and make them my main philosophy of education. That said, she doesn't advise you to begin formal education with your child until they are six. So that leaves me with almost two years of what to do. I was reading on Ambleside.com and they suggest read-a-louds for the early years, along with art study, music study, nature study, hymns and folk songs, habit training and Bible. So my focus for this year will be on reading, reading and reading some more. I'm going to keep with my schedules for science and social studies. But I am making some changes to history and Bible. One of the things I love about homeschooling is that if something doesn't work you can change it.

I had a great visit with my best friend Kristal, and we found tons of free books for Kindle on Amazon. The hard part is knowing what to read first. I have been working on my curriculum for the year (which I will post soon), and I can't wait to get started with the school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment